Re: "Neutral" Parties

From: Lightcastle <light_castle_at_...>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 23:33:19 -0500

On Thursday 03 November 2005 8:23 pm, Mike Holmes wrote:

> I'm with Paul here, generally, if they aren't opposing you, where's the
> contest?

Obviously. There wouldn't be a contest then. (He would just succeed in convincing the group he was the one with the right idea.) But considering they don't want to be convinced and failure is interesting here, there should be a contest.

> But let me get really wishy-washy for a second.

Please do. :)

> So if they're really part of the opponent's side, then they're lending the
> opponent AP, likely. The opponent's bids won't come from the neutral
> parties, they'll only come from the opponent themselves. The "neutrals" are
> really just "blockers" in this case for the actual opponent.

And if I framed it as a debate between him and the current leader of the Trade council, that could work.

> Uh, the count has to question all potential suitors for them to even get
> into the court - not that he wants to prevent anyone from wooing the
> princess, but it's just a task. In this case, I run these as "unrelated
> contests." Which do, BTW, take the character's "round" to perform. So it is
> a positional thing.

Certainly. I'm interested in the case where convincing the count *is* important. I suppose in some cases this is like the race, you can be racing against the course, or you can be racing against your opponent. (other suitor, for instance)

Mind you, I'm also not always sure what to do if framing it as me vs my opponent here. Sure, 0 AP means the Count chooses me instead of you. I suppose one always has to make sure to frame the resistance in terms of me vs you, however. (i.e. If my opponent flatters the count, I have to resist with some kind of other flattery, or other persuasiveness. Otherwise the opponent can bid high, use a resistance I have no control over, and beat me, which just seems wrong.)

What do you think of the situation where three options make sense. Say I and my rival are trying to convince the Count to give me his daughter. The three obvious options are 1) I succeed in convincing the Count 2) My rival succeeds in convincing the Count 3) The Count rejects us both.

LC