RE: Extended contests - followers as augments or AP batteries?

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 08:44:03 -0000

> > > Of course. That's what I'd do in a similar situation.
> > > (Yes, it makes no sense out of context. *grin*)
> >
> > Full context can be found here:
> > http://www.herewardslegion.info/wikka/wikka.php?wakka=GameChronicles
>
> Hah! Serves me right for being a bit snarky to get my bluff called. :)

If you want to read and enjoy, go ahead. And if not, then not.

> > I see them as people. Probably one of the results of my
> being very much a
> > role-player not a rule-player, and why I get so confused.
>
> True. Sometimes it is easier to dial that all back.

Not sure what you mean by that phrase?

> Well, the 20 followers of
> Vur (at least, I assume it is 20 followers of Vur, I admit to
> being confused by your original description)

I shouldn't post that sort of thing when half-asleep. Yes, Vur has 20 followers.

> should certainly just be followers. (I
> certainly would never detail them.)

I haven't, anyway. Yet.

> > They all have a keyword of "Humakti warrior" or some
> equivalent (possibly
> > other cults), and they're using their "loyal to leader" or
> "loyal to rest
> > of warband" ability, or something like it, off that. This
> is why they're
> > being used as pure Greek Chorus, they just don't have any
> more appropriate abilities.
>
> These are the Vur followers?

The followers on both sides. This may be why the confusion: we've got a bunch of Humakti facing off against another bunch of Humakti. The ones on the PC side are a bit more detailed, sometimes a lot more detailed - at least I know all their names! - but where they have more personality, it's in ways that aren't relevant here. Here and now, they're followers, "Humakti 17".

> I wouldn't
> let the speaking PC be augmented by both abilities
> separately, though. (Does
> that make sense. Mind you, that's MY way. There Is No One
> True Way, as someone wise mentioned.)

I've heard this suggested as a limitation, and never been very convinced by it. Still, as long as I'm consistent, it probably doesn't matter.

> I think the way I would rule that is that I'd augment that
> particular bid with
> the LOWEST "Devotee of Humakt" rating on the PC's side.
> Because THAT's the person Vur would trust least.

Interesting idea, I may pick upon that.

> In all honestly, I would probably say this is a contest
> between the PC
> spokesman and Vur. On Vur's side, I don't know what ability
> any of the
> followers have that is relevant to lend (since it is Vur's
> paranoia that we
> are talking about) so I would just do the Greek Chorus thing
> as Community
> support (he is more sure with his men at his back) and give a
> small bonus.

That's the conclusion I was coming to. Though maybe with Greek Chorus as AP bank and clapometer. He'll have more APs, PCs will have better TN.