Re: Thunderstones

From: Gavain Sweetman <gavain.sweetman_at_...>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 09:08:54 +0000 (GMT)

Thanks for all the advice and link to the previous discussion.

Having read through the posts and mulled them over in my mind I came up with this. Hope my ramblings aren't too long winded :)

ISTR that when lightning strikes it creates a vacuum in the air and that thunder is actually the noise of the air filling this vacuum.

It then occurred to me that thunder stones could act in the same way. A stone is enchanted so that when it hits an object it implodes (or equivalent magic effect). This causes a vacuum and thus air fills the void and get loud noise, this then creates a shock wave that actually does the damage. (Like the films of atomic bomb testing. It goes off and appears to suck in air at first then it appears to explode.)

This then set me thinking about the difference between magical and mundane skills to throw the stones. With the mundane skill it is the stone itself that does the damage and normal "physics" determines the path.

With the magical skill the stone/magic generates a vacuum as it travels. It's this "trail" that causes the damage and so multiple targets can be hit and the stone be preserved to be reused / returned to the wielder.

Gavain