Re: We are talking about Gloranthan efinitions here

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 22:20:55 -0800

From: "Greg Stafford" <Greg_at_...>
> > From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
>
> >> In its broadest sense, it is a HQ.
> >
> > (whimper) I thought we were trying to distinguish
> > ceremonies from heroquests?
>
> Which is precisely why I said ?in the broadest sense.?

*PHWEEET* Yellow flag/card on the play.

Play nice. Both of you.

Greg:
Think twice, post once.

Jane:
I *do* see a very materialistic bent in your worldview (even if it is shared by your friends and family). As an example: While I and my family are not religious, my wife & her family *are*, and they see very marked effects of ceremonies that, to me, are purely mundane.

This is just like the description on TR 120 of watching a worship ceremony and seeing people playing dress-up. I see a guy in funny clothes (non-21st century-standard, at least) who reads a sermon and then does some mumbo-jumbo, but who *cannot* affect me except through his presentation of his thoughts (the rationalist approach). But my wife and her family feel that they gain personal religious benefit out of attending the services. I am not an initiate of their church, so I only see funny clothes. They are initiated, so see the spiritual side "beyond" the clothes. They get a benefit, I don't.

Oh, and "Civil" law is usually distinct from "Criminal" or "Martial" law, and covers contracts and the like. A Civil marriage is all about the contracts between the Husband and Wife and between them and "the State" or 'the People"

RR
- Richelieu