Re: Definitions

From: Rob <robert_m_davis_at_...>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 18:58:33 -0000

Oh come on Jane, play fair. RPG's use words all the time and redefine their use. Here are some examples,

Bang - A loud noise. Or according to Ron Edwards, a point in a game where the player has to make a thematic choice for his character, also to qualify it must not be able to be simply ignored.

Ceremony - A ritualised occurence. Or in Glorantha siad rituallised event includes magic as standard, as does cooking a meal, buthcering an animal or summoning a wind.

Battleaxe - My mother in law. Or in Glorantha the weapon of choice for a Babeestor Goir worshipper (amongst others).

Ceremony was defined as far as I can remember in Glorantha in Runequest 3, when it was specifically an ability of how to conduct a magical ceremony succesfully.

There is a game called Vampire the Masquerade. They have a clan or class if you like called Toreador. Now, the newbie goes cool, I want to be a bullfighter, the GM explains that the Clan Toreador are not bullfighters (but could be!). The same goes in Glorantha when we say ceremony we know it includes magic, and we actually make a point of saying no magical ceremony if not, as the norm in Glorantha is it is magical. Yes?

Best regards
Rob