Re: Physical feat in a mental contest

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 07:59:46 +0000 (GMT)

Yes. Though narrating how can be fun.

> > Is there a sort of soul-wind (breath) that an
> Orlanthi magic user could
> > invoke to change the statement or confuse the
> mental concentration of a
> > non-Orlanthi opponent, *without* the actual
> physical manifestation of a gust of wind?

LC:
> If it is off of a wind affinity, I would probably
> require something physical.

Me too - or rather, me too until I re-read and saw your use of the phrase "soul-wind (breath)". Yes, the Orlanthi believe that their breath and their soul are the same thing, don't they? Even so, I think the physical manifestation is required. The complete separation of mundane body and otherworldly soul is a comparatively modern idea, I gather, I'm not sure it would occur so easily to Orlanthi. Unless of course they're heretical, free-thinking weirdos like, say, a PC... let's say you won't find a Listed Feat that does that, but an improvised one, maybe.

On the simpler subject of how to narrate an indirect physical effect on the mind of the opponent, our very own Humakti subcult of Hereward Truewind has a neat little feat called Howling Doomwind whose sole purpose is to terrify the opposition with thoughts of their mortality. For a similar and more Orlanthi effect, I'd suggest looking at bagpipes.