Re: Re: Resistance to the Opening

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 13:36:51 -0700

> As I understood the HeroQuest rules, a roll is meant to be your overall
> attempt at something - no rolling until you succeed at a task. The analogy
> for waiting for a wind would be rolling a marginal success or something:
> "After several weeks of trying, you finally get the Openning to work, and
> off to sea with you."
>
> Failing means that you've failed at that test, and the situation has to
> change significantly before you try again.
>
> That's how I read the 'no repeat attempts' rule on p. 63 of the rules,
> anyway. Am I missing something?

Yes: if it gets in the way of the story, ignore it.

The "No repeated attmpts" rule is meant to keep players from rolling and rolling and rollling and rolling and rolling until they succeed through sheer number if attempts - even if you only have a 1% chance of doing something, after 100 tries you should have (by the laws of probablitiy) succeeded once. But that gets boring.

So the rule is "don't allow repeated attempts", but that is meant to keep the game flowing, not to straitjacket the players. Remember that the narrator can declare "special circumstances", and "Time passes, try again" can be a special circumstance. Think of it as "Getting out of the harbor *today*" if you must have a contest name. And remember that the Opening has only one "Victory" entry: Any victory - so you don't need to worry about "getting out a little bit" with a marginal success - either you do it, or you don't (of course, there are increasing;y severe penalties for failure...)

RR
- Richelieu