RE: Re: Resistance to the Opening

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 12:00:06 -0500

>From: "Jeff Richard" <richaje_at_...>

>Lots of nautical fiction introduce the
>protagonist as a young shipman who eventually becomes captain of his
>own ship.�

This is yet another great way to start. Have the backdrop of where the ship is going be completely (or almost) out of the control of the player heroes, and the ship merely be the stage for other adventures than those that involve choosing which way to go.

And, sure, eventually the character will come into ownership or command of a vessel. Probably way too soon, way before he's ready. But playing out getting the vessel, that's a ton of fun, and a great moment (I haven't done it in a fantasy game myself, but lots of times in Traveller).

I'm not seeing any of this as problematic. Simply mindfully choose the ability level you want for your characters, and the sort of game, and go with that.

Mike