Re: Re: Age Old Question on Feats and Affinity Augments

From: Gavain Sweetman <gavain.sweetman_at_...>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 10:59:02 +0000 (GMT)

> I must admit, the more I do look at it the finer seems the
> distinction between a very powered-up initiate and a beginning
> devotee.

That is always true even in RL :-) See the difference between a newly qualified officer and an experienced Sergent, supposedly under the junior officers command.

> A question of emphasis, rather than degree, perhaps.

I agree.

> Admittedly the ability to improvise non-listed feats is going to
> become a killer ability, especially when the devotee is high-
> powered, but when you consider that an initiate, even with
> concentrated magic, gets to keep common magic feats and can use them
> actively, whilst a devotee can't, the case for becoming a
> devotee "quickly" becomes quite thin.

In my game I don't automatically exclude all common magic for a devotee. It felt too harsh to have our Yinkin Devotee loose some of the useful hunting style common magic that they had leaned. So they loose the common magic keyword but retain those feats that are compatible with the god they are devoting to. I also have allowed them to add to this collection of stand alone feats where they can argue that this feat is within keeping of their greater god.

> I suppose as a "way-back" Glorantha fan, I've been trying to shoe-
> horn devotees into the "Rune Lord" mould for some time now
> (especially since both I and my players have become VERY used to
> Rune Lords and Rune Priests as facts of the Gloranthan "reality") -

IMHO the devotee is closer to the rune priest, certainly not a rune lord. There appears to be no equivalent to the runelord in that even the disciple is based around the hero's magical abilities. There is no real equivalent to the physical emphasis that was placed on the runelords. The closest that I can see is the position of weaponthane and that position is clan not religion based.