Re: Digest Number 2097

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 09:58:27 -0700

> >>But what ceremony would a weirdo Chief perform? The myth of Dar becoming Chief without that also being an initiation to Dar? I don't see how that would be possible. <<
> Well HQ ceremonies have modfiers for people performing the appropriate role and the modifiers set out how membership of the wrong cult, devotee vs, initiate effect things (sorry don't have page reference to hand).

HQ 102.

So I think provided the clan knows the ceremony - and I suspect most Orlanthi priests would know these essential ceremonies regardless of sub-cult then they can enact the correct ritual to fulfill their needs. Most of the time there is not even resistance to this, you just do it. Of course if there is opposition or danger...

Yep. *Anyone* can lead a clan, regardless of cult affiliation - it's just that *some* cults are better at it than others.

The leader really only needs to have the "right to lead" granted by the rest of the clan. Ritual and Governmental stuff can be taken care of by Lawspeakers, Priest(ess)s, various thanes, etc. While the Orlanthi are much less bureaucratic than, say, the Dara Happans or the US government, still everyone pitches in and does what (s)he can. The chief is supposed to point the way forward, and take what burden (s)he can - whether in war, or magic, or farming, or whatever. After all, a single person can't do it *all* (or, if they can, probably not very well - "jack of all trades and master of none", as the saying goes).

So a Barntar Chief will probably have a good grasp of the economics and needs of farming, but would have a war chief, and a chief priest, etc, while a Helamakt chief might not need a war chief, but *would* need a good Land-Thane.

Dar worshippers get specific feats to help them run a clan (or tribe). They can invoke the wyter or form a clan ring without the need of a priest/lawspeaker. They are better at getting things done by getting others to do them. (Plus they get some nifty skills like Dominate Meeting and Sense Mood of Crowd that help wheh the peasants get ugly... :-) ).

As mentioned, almost all the thunder brothers lead a clan at one point or another, as did most of the other gods of the Storm Pantheon. We have Orlanth Dar, Orendana the Queen (Ernalda), Anatyr the Chieftain (Elmal), Uroth the Blue Ram (Heler), and those are just the ones written up. Issaries and Lhankor Mhy lead clans, etc. Everyone probably has a small, obscure subcult of leadership - Those Wierdo Blue oaks are lead by Barntar Dar, and their councils are run like a plow team!

RR
- Richelieu