Re: Magi's Magic

From: Kevin McDonald <kpmcdona_at_...>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 09:17:13 -0400

Peter writes:
> It is a best fit if you want to shoehorn square pegs into round holes
> on the grounds that magic types described in HeroQuest are the only
> types of magic permissible. But I don't believe that and neither
> should you.

I think Peter makes an excellent point here. When they are eventually depicted in official works they will probably have their own unique form of magic separate from the liturgist/orderly/adept model. Personally, if I (as narrator) were depicting a Carmanian Magus then I would probably just wing it along the lines that Peter detailed - purity, communing with the Will of Idovanus, etc. HeroQuest makes this sort of off-the-cuff narration pretty simple.

For what it is worth, the only piece of actual magi related magic that I have in my game is that one particular magus secretly communicates with a PC using a magical golden bowl filled with consecrated water. When the PC wants to speak with the magus, he performs purification rituals and chants prayers over the bowl. Exactly what happens on the magus' end has never been depicted, and could be entirely different.

Another interesting point is that the Magi are at the top of the "worship pyramid" in carmania. Such chains of veneration are common in the west, but no rule book has described it so far. Even the Lunars do something like this through the Preceptors. Does ILH2 give any details on this that might help?

~KP