New players, NPC->PC, list method

From: philippe_sigaud <sigaud_at_...>
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2006 13:46:43 -0000

Hello,

I'll begin a new HeroQuest game in a few weeks, integrating two new players into the group.
I had 3 PCs, part of a very tight heroband of six (so, 3 PCs, 3 NPCs). The new players are really interested in playing two of the 3 other NPCs. But, as they were NPCs, we never developed them as much as the players' characters.
That's to say: they have 10-15 abilities written down, whereas the Heroes have about 70 (that's 80 sessions for you). I stopped myself before defining them too much, less they still the spotlight from the PCs.

So, what I intend to do is letting the new players decide what these characters are, in a way similar to the "list Method" for PCs creation in the HQ rules. I think that while discussing together and with their fresh view on the ex-NPCs, we will find 30 abilities, well enough to define someone. They will expand them, I'm sure. They will then have about 40 'empty slots', which they will fill as soon as inspiration or need strike them. By luck, the three old PCs have all almost the same number of abilities and the same repartition: 5W3, 3W3, 3 abilities at 18W2, etc. (almost linear, with numbers between 5W3 and 13, in fact, I was quite astonished). They are sufficiently equals in all in all 'structure' that I'm confident I'll be able to create a sort of template for the abilities levels. Note I say 'levels' (numbers, TN), NOT the kind of abilities.
Even if the others tend to have three affinities between 5W2 and 10W2, the new ones will not be under any obligation to follow this pattern. They may have many social abilities and just a few physical, or whatever. I may just insist on them taking a fair sprinkle of relations, personality traits, and some flaws, to have some lever on which to act.
During play, as long as anyone around the table (including me) is happy with a new ability, it'll be marked and fill an empty slot.

So, I'll give them a long list of numbers, the beginning numbers of their abilities. And they will take what they want and cross them during the game.

What do you think? Do you see any trap or difficulty in this? Did someone go the same road? I never tried the list method, so I'm in new territory there.

  Philippe