Giving places and game session their own abilities

From: philippe_sigaud <sigaud_at_...>
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2006 14:00:18 -0000

Hello,

In my coming HQ campaign, I'd like to have very short (1-2 sessions) episodes, each with a different feeling and background. The characters will be traveling among the East Isles and then Kralorela and Teshnos and I want each session to be about a situation and a particular environment, a particular mood.
So, as a way to evoke this, I'm toying with the idea of giving places (or sessions or Acts, scenes or whatever) some abilities of their own. Like this:

But I would like it to encompass also 'story' considerations like 'A young woman will be sacrified' or 'One of you fall in love' or 'Trahison!'.
All these abilities will be in a common pool: the players and I will have access to them. I think I'll use them more than they, but we will see.
I was thinking of a way to get the players into either using some of the proposed abilities: "OK, what about a cannibal attack right now ?" or "I take the Fall in Love one" and, even better, to create some of their own. "I would like a giant squid, and some undead pirates". Maybe giving them HP for accepting events, or for creating some. Maybe also having a list of abilities on one part, and a list of TN on the other (the 'session intensity', if you see what I mean). Pick one on each list and go (or someone pick an ability and another person get to pick the TN). I may also get to propose some to a player, with HP candy if she accepts.
Of course, these 'environmental' abilities can be used as any other : actively or by augmenting/diminishing other abilities.

I don't know, it is still very rough and informal in my mind right now, so I suppose I'm just thinking aloud.

Is anyone willing to comment?

  Philippe