Re: powerful augments

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 12:27:18 +0100 (BST)

That is *very* high.

> The net effect is that, all alone, in correct
> conditions, I know my players can
> reach 1w5. Maybe 1w6 with good circumstances
> (magical spots, and so on).
>
> As they tend to help each others, they regularly get
> up to 1w8 ! (get out Kallyr, bugger off Harrek)

Well, their basic skills are higher than Kallyr's, so it seems reasonable that they can beat her. Though bear in mind that she can rack up a fair few augments herself, and also has followers who work as a team. Ignore the results given for final values after augments in the book, they're working to HW rules not HQ.

> - up the level of play: they are obviously movers
> and shakers, so shape your
> game accordingly. That I did. But I'm afraid my
> coming campaign will be softer.
> They will be like elephants in a kindergarten.

It sounds as if you have a misalignment between the level their stats put them at, and their story level compared with the NPCs they meet. I've had this once before, but the other way round: we looked at the Swords campaign, saying "but this guy's been a professional mercenary for ten years, how come his basic skills are around 17- 1W?" What we did was revalue our currency - look at what level we thought the PCs should be compared with standards and NPCs, then rewrite all their skills to fit.

> - be harsher on the use of augments. Ask for good
> descriptions _before_ and then
> decide wich augments it entails. I may follow this
> one.

I've tried this, and found that when some augments are very obviously appropriate, no explanation needed, everyone resents having to provide the description. And ideas about where to draw the line of "obvious" will differ :(

One idea is to only allow one augment from each keyword: assuming you can remember which keyword you got them from in the first place! Or maybe two from each keyword - see what feels right.

Use the same rules for which augments are allowed for PCs as for NPCs - that at least makes things "fair". If your NPCs only get three augments, then so do the PCs. If the PCs normally get ten or so, then so do the NPCs: no, you don't need to detail which, just assume anyone with W2 main skills can come up with a bunch of +3s without a problem. Or whatever: you probably have a better feel for this than I do.

All new Yahoo! Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html