Re: powerful augments

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_...>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 18:00:42 +0100

Philippe Sigaud:

> The PCs' best abilities are now at 5w3, with, say, around 20
> abililities between
> 1w2 and 19w2 (so, potentially giving between +4 and +6, in correct
> circumstances) and 30 others at more than 1w.
> The net effect is that, all alone, in correct conditions, I know my
> players can
> reach 1w5. Maybe 1w6 with good circumstances (magical spots, and so on).
>
> Now, I can see many answers, but really I'd like to know if you have the
> same problem.

Well, not yet - unsurprisingly, as we've not had more than 8 sessions with any given set of characters so far! But, even so, it seems that your characters have improved far more rapidly than mine. Looking at my own PC, and the points I've spent so far, I'd estimate that after another 72 sessions, his best ability will be around 10w2, with another 10 abilities or so in the 12w to 5w2 range. So one solution (if your players will stomach such a thing) might be to hand out less hero points!

But that's not a lot of help to you now, of course...

> - considering it's not a problem. Is everyone happy? If yes, then
> good. Well,
> I'm not happy, not really. I'm all for giving the players what they
> want, and
> tailoring the game to the PCs hooks and such. But this is straining my
> suspension of disbelief, seeing these god-level TNs. I mean, I cannot have
> every NPCs at 1w5 !

Well, you wouldn't need to. Your PCs aren't at 1w5, they just get that good through augments. Presumably the NPCs are just as capable of using augments as the PCs are, so their stats need only be in the 5w3 range. The downside would be that the NPCs would need a similarly detailed skill list to the PCs - and apparently that's 50+ skills at 1w or higher! Perhaps you could give the NPCs some very broad abilities for augmenting with, rather than detailing every little ability that they have,

> - be harsher on the use of augments. Ask for good descriptions
> _before_ and then
> decide wich augments it entails. I may follow this one.

As a GM, I generally don't allow too many augments per task, unless its some big, cooperative thing like starting a heroquest.

--

Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic