Re: Re: Preparing a campaign for hardened gamers with a minimax mentality

From: Doyce Testerman <doyce.testerman_at_...>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 07:54:48 -0600

> > If I'm sat looking where to spend my Hero Points as a player, I
> > wouldn't want to spend on things that are 'augment only', because
> > you appear to get more bang for your buck going for direct-impact
> > skills (e.g. sword and shield fighting) or skills that have both a
> > direct and indirect use (e.g. strong as an ox) rather
> than 'augment
> > only' abilities.

It'll really depend on your players, but the fact that it's REALLY not cost-effective to focus your spends on 2 or 3 skills (due to the exponential increase in the cost of raising the same trait more than a point in the same session), you do tend to see folks broaden things out more -- that rule along encourages players to spread the points out into lots of 'related' areas.

In my first game, I made the first few fights simply contests, and had the first extended contest revolve around social skills at a duke's ball -- it quickly demonstrated that you didn't automatically get maximum table time or 'coolest conflicts' by focusing on combat.