RE: Re: Using Practise Spirits to attack

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 12:01:59 -0600

>From: "Jamie" <anti.spam_at_...>
>
>There are two things to note here, the contest goal in this instance
>is just to release the spirit, and the result is not as specific as it
>is in the main text. I see the main text as focusing on how spirits
>can enhance the magic user, but I don't see it as a limitation on how
>they can be used, nor do I see any constraint on mechanical effect.

Good point. There is a bit of a question as to how much the player "owns" the spirits in question. That is, are they magic abilities like any other, or just relationships with supernatural NPCs? They seem somewhere in the middle - the player seems to have about as much control over them as an NPC or perhaps a follower. But they have to pay extra points for the abilities according to the chart for costs for Charms and Fetishes (unlike NPCs where the level of ability for an NPC is irrellevant).

There's another salient question, however, which is whether or not all spirits can possess people? Do they need an ability to do it that makes particular sense? I mean, if you have some snake war spirit with "Bite Hard" and "Slither Away" as abilities, I suppose it uses it's Bite Hard to make the possession attempt? Or, like resisting binding with hostile spirits, does it use the higher of the abilities? Lower? Or is this spirit just not capable of possessing?

Mike

Stay up-to-date with your friends through the Windows Live Spaces friends list.