Re: Using Practise Spirits to attack

From: Jamie <anti.spam_at_...>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 00:12:15 -0000

Hi Sarah,

> Question: can I do this with the rules as written? I've been
> reading through the practise spirit and spirit allies sections, and
> as far as I can see the rules don't seem to say I can release a
> practise spirit and then command it to go and attack someone whilst
> I do something else.

For me the answer is a clear yes.

The actual boxed-out rules say:

To Release a Practice Spirit

Any Victory: The spirit is released and can aid the practitioner.

There are two things to note here, the contest goal in this instance is just to release the spirit, and the result is not as specific as it is in the main text. I see the main text as focusing on how spirits can enhance the magic user, but I don't see it as a limitation on how they can be used, nor do I see any constraint on mechanical effect.

I let my players release spirits with a simple command if they want them to act independently. Instead of using the "on any victory" clause, I focus on what is required of the spirit. If it is a complex command or against the spirit's natural inclination it requires a greater victory and/or the contest is given negative modifiers.

In other words, just like in any HQ contest, I shift the focus away from task resolution (release this spirit), and focus on conflict resolution (get my spirit to do this for me). And, as in every conflict, I let the situation and drama dictate the numbers, and the result of the opposed roll dictate the narration.

As an aside, I wouldn't bother with quantifying the contest for an NPC, as I would see that as story, and cut staight to the contest for possession (but then I dont stat NPCs at all, which may not be to your taste).