PC creation with the List Method: An AP thread

From: Philippe Sigaud <sigaud_at_...>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 21:53:30 +0100

Hi,

on a thread on EC in the HQ-RPG group, Mike Holmes said something which reminded me of questions I asked there in September: on new 'high-level' character creation.

So, I had this two new players who accepted to play two already present NPCs. So as not to block them, I proposed a half filled sheet, with the keywords and some related abilities and gave them a big list of ability levels to use up. When they want a number behind an ability, they chose it on the list and mark it down. The list is based on the other PC's numbers repartition.

They like it and regularly pick up an ability (new or already written down), say 5-6 times per session. They really appreciate the idea of having a template given to them (they are new to Glorantha), but also having complete freedom to decide what is important to them. The female troll shaman, for example, decided to use her '4w2' level for her 'Strong' ability, which radically altered the way we see her character, which is a good thing. She also took a 'Shut Up U Stoopid Male' ability and dig the 'Uz Piercings' one :)
As for the female sorcerer, Her player gave her a 'So, _that_'s sex, isn't it?' ability. You gotta love my players:)

In fact, they so much enjoyed themselves, that my other players asked to do the same :) So they all reorganised their sheets, got rid of some abilities, created new ones, fused some, and used the same 'number list' as the others. As they already had a quite good idea for their characters, they rapidly used 90% of the levels, but they appreciated the possibility to redefine them and to have some freedom left.

The two new players are discovering Glorantha with joy and told me they never 'entered' a campaign so easily. I'm happy!

  Philippe