RE: Re: Grimoires and Casting

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 14:43:13 -0600

>From: "Roderick Robertson " <rjremr_at_...>
>
>The intent was that every spell cast needs an anchor to the "Spell
>Node" on the Essence plane. This is normally a Talisman. However, the
>physical Grimoire can *act as* a talisman for any spell it contains
>(because *it* is connected to the Grimoire Node, and so are the
>spells in it).

I'm getting really technical here, I know, but if you'll bear with me...

Can a talisman be created for a spell only known from a grimoire, but which still only uses the Grimoire ability? Or does creating any other talisman for the spell imply that it's being taken separately from the grimoire?

If I have Use Grimore with spell X in the grimoire, can I have a separate talisman for spell X, and still use it with the Use Grimoire ability rating, and not need the Grimoire?

That is, you say that the grimoire "can" act as a talisman. But it *must* act as the talisman here, right? Because nothing else can? By saying "can" you don't mean to imply that it can not as well, correct? Or *do* you mean to imply that?

I think you mean that you must use the grimoire as the talisman substitute, else your response about augmenting seems to make less sense.

>From a more metagame perspective, the question is whether or not a charcter
has to lug around big burdensome books as a drawback to using the grimoire ability or not. Is that there to balance out the general usefullness of Use Grimoire abilities? Or is it just descriptive of some typical Gloranthan reality? The answer is important, because it'll help me determine if it makes sense to keep such a restriction, say, outside of Glorantha.

Mike

http://homepage.msn.com/zune?icid=hmetagline