RE: Re: Assembling a Tricky Situations List

From: DreadDomain <dreaddomain_at_...>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 06:52:21 -0500

Hi David,

-----Message d'origine-----
De : HeroQuest-rules_at_yahoogroups.com
[mailto:HeroQuest-rules_at_yahoogroups.com] De la part de David Dunham Envoyé : 8 mars 2007 21:39
À : HeroQuest-rules_at_yahoogroups.com
Objet : Re: Assembling a Tricky Situations List

>It would be nice to explain Augments better as well. For instance, what is
>the difference between augmenting with an "inherent" ability like
"Muscular"
>or "Agile" and augmenting with an "active" ability like "The Seven
Maneuvers
>of Demetrios" or "Speak Crap to Confuse Enemy"?

> How are these in any way different? "Brenna drives her foe back,
> leaping agilely about" vs "Brenna drives her foe back using the Seven
> Maneuvers of Demetrios" vs "Brenna drives her foe back while coolly
> speaking crap to him." The rules are the same. The difference is the
> story.

You know what, it seems you are right. I went and read "Augmentation" on page 79 and obviously I had a case of faulty memory. I was under the impression that a) taking an augmentation automatically took time and b) you could use only a limited amount of abilities to augment during a contest. In fact, the section pretty clearly states the kind of distinction I was asking for. My bad.

>>- Measurable abilities : Some abilities are measurable in real life and it
>>would help to translate them from HQ abilities to real life values. The
>>obvious one I see are Strong, Large, Fast, Wealth. In other world, how
>>much
>>can you lift if you are "Unbelievably Strong" 5W or how fast can you run
>>with "Running like the wind" 17?

> In my opinion, this doesn't matter.

As I said, these pointers are not necessarily needed for HQ to work and if it doesn't matter to you, or rather if you don't need these pointers to "get it", more power to you. Some people needs to have real references when they build or play a character and I believe having optional guidelines in a sidebar, appendix or a text box could help these people to "get it". Admittedly, I am one of these people who likes to have an idea of what my character can do.

> The ratings relate to the story.

And the story is set in a world ruled by physics. Of course for the sake of a good story, physics can always be bended (we see that everyday in movies).

> My benchpress ability doesn't translate to an Unbelievably Strong
> rating. Rather, I'm stronger than anyone in my clan: 5W shows that.

But your benchpress ability translates directly to your "Brenchpress Heavy stuff" ability. If Skinny Joe Smith wants to impress the gym bully by benchpressing a 250 pounds bar in the corner, what will he be contesting against? It helps to have guidelines grounding you in reality, it gives a better sense of balance to the world and better credibility. Again, you may not need it. Some people do. I know I do.

> And, I can run just as fast with Run like a Gazelle 17 as Running
> like the Wind 17.

I never said otherwise.

> Now having just said that everything is the same: that's only true on
> a pure mechanistic basis. If Brenna uses Speak Crap, the Narrator
> could apply a penalty if Brenna's foe happens to be deaf. Or could
> apply the Belisarius Mystery Stroke, which is well-known to counter
> the Seven Maneuvers. The rules support the story, and require a
> Narrator to apply them.

I agree with all this and fail to see the link with measurable abilities.