Re: Re: Medicine Bundles

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 09:35:59 -0700

>> I didn't write the rule in question, but yes, that's the intent. The
>> bundle
>> acts as the "SuperFetish" for the Practice group. Losing the Bundle is
>> similar to losing a fetish or charm - you can't contact the spirit(s).
>
> Meaning the guardian spirits in the bundle and the majestic spirits whose
> goodwill it represents, right? Not the practice spirits whose fetishes
> you have, unless you release them.

Correct.

If you lose a fetish or charm, you don't get the benefit of the spirit contained therein.

If you lose a medicine bundle, you don't get the benefits of the MS *or* the spirits contained in the bundle.

> Well, that makes some sense of that relationship, which always felt like
> it did not entirely fit in. I understood it in the context of wizardry,
> less so in theism, and much less in animism. Thanks.

All the magical systems have "intercessors" between the mortal realm and the Otherworld. The western Sorcery ones are much more important, as a "normal" person does little magic on his own. The Theists have priests that know and lead the rites to the God(s). Animist intercessors have personal relationships to Spirits and can "introduce" a person to the spirits he knows - sort of like a Pimp or Madame. (actually, while I wrote that in jest, it has a large amouint of truth in it...).

Most people (not necessarily including Player Heroes) need an intercessor to get magic. They don't have the abilities necessary to do it themselves. Player heroes often have those abilities (and should really be intercessors themselves).

>> > Can your practice group eject you in the sense of disrupting your
>> > relationship with the majestic spirit?
>>
>> They can eject you and cut off access to *their* medicine bundle.
>
> Meaning that you lose your "Relationship to Intercessor," right?

It may change to "Hated by" or something, you shouldn't just lose it.

>> They *can't* cut you off from the [majestic spirit].
>
> I think you mean, more precisely, that they cut your current tie to the
> majestic spirit, but you can make another tie through a different
> intercessor?

You have a personal tie to the Majestic spirit, seperate from any medicine bundles. But the MS is "far away" in terms of Spiritual distance, and you normally can't contact it directly. The Bundle is what allows the MS and you to "stay in touch".

If a practice group kicks you out, it's like taking away your cellphone - you still have an account with the MS, and you can get a new phone, but until you do you can't "talk" to the MS. (don't try to take this example too far - a Bundle is a single object held by the intercessor, not a bunch of objects held by members of the group).

RR