Re: Re: QW - How many augments (to Mr Laws)

From: Ashley Munday <aescleal_at_...>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 15:26:33 +0100 (BST)

Hi Rob,

I've been trying out another way of limiting augments. It's only been used in real play for one weekends play recently (about 16 hours all in all), but it seems to work well. In hindsight it's similar to Keith N's idea of working out post die roll if an augment had an effect but done in reverse.

For simple contests it works something like:

  (a) describe how an ability helps to win the conflict and augment with it
  (b) if their target number is lower force the contest to be resolved

This means that whoever's falling behind can choose to stop the whole augment frenzy and resolve the contest as it stands, or keep trying to pile on the augments and risk falling further behind.

There's no such thing as an "automatic augment." If you want to use an ability as an augment you have state it's being used at the rate of one per statement.

With the players I've got at the mo, one contest sounded like an argument in the playground. It was just me and one player reading off abilities:

Me: "I can make Harek back down"

Player: "You and whose army?"

Me: "I eat evil for breakfast"

Player: "I'm not evil, I'm just a <naughty word deleted>"

Me: Oh sod this, roll the dice.

which wasn't the effect I was after. However as I've been exhorting my players to be less skill driven in their ability names it's probably my own fault. Having said that, it made simple contests a lot more enjoyable for me, I've never really liked them in the past. However this method worked really well and made the contests feel more like a conversation.

Cheers,

Ash