RE: Re: HQ Beginner - Character Generation questions

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 12:13:19 -0500

>From: "Thorsten" <Eisprinz_at_...>
>
>The first
>few sessions will be mostly introductory and experimental anyway, I
>won't prevent any player changing their characters a few sessions into
>our exploration of Glorantha.

Cool. Totally makes sense.

>Well. Heroquests. I've read that chapter once, and decided to keep
>that aspect of the game until a lot later. It seems to me you have to
>be very comfortable with the rules and the settings to narrate a
>heroquest.

Also makes sense. One thing that might seem odd is to consider that rituals and heroquests, even, may be going on around the characters with relative frequency. That's not to say that the characters have to play them out, even if they're involved. For instance, to gain a new feat, an Orlanthi character may well have to go into the god world to do so. Practically speaking this is most often handled with an expenditure of HP, and perhaps a comment about having spent some time learning about the feat, and then having gone off with the support of some folks and a temple or something, and having retrieved the ability.

The point is to understand that otherworld activity is a regular activity (meaning done at regular intervals, or for standard uses, not that it's not spectacular),

> > in part from the massive penalty that he has from his concentration.
>
>Massive? Any figures?

The rule is that concentration is, essentially, a flaw. As such, you can take it at whatever level for free. So some players take it at like 10W3. Sure that's a +7 to use all of their concenrated magic. It's also a -7 to deal with any sort of magic outside of the area of concentration.

Massive may be overstating. But the point is that they are foist precisely to the extent that they empower themselves.

>Hmm. For the moment, only the first three are an option. One important
>point of my considerations, though, is how that ability will fare once
>the char reaches the higher levels of her religion. I think a Natural
>Magic ability would fit the character concept best, because such a
>"knack" would make the character destined for a career in her
>religion.

Wouldn't be the first time I'd seen that. I have a character in my IRC game with exactly that same premise.

>...The rulebook
>allows for concentration only in one of the four systems of magic.
>However, you could easily imagine a concentration like "Puma Culture
>Magic". This would then allow you to keep all Magic that can be seen
>as part of the Puma's Magic.

I think somebody mentioned it, but this seems to be kosher. Concentrations that exist seem also to be samples, and it seems that one can concentrate on any coherent category of magic.

> > In each of these cases, the ability is in addition to all of those that
> > they'd normally start with. So, if he's a practitioner, he gets his full
> > load of starting spirits, and gets this one as well.
>
>Okay, that's an information I needed.

There is some question as to wether or not the relationship with the spirit starts at keyword level or 13, note. Again, complicated. Pick whichever you feel makes more sense.

Mike

Don�t quit your job � Take Classes Online and Earn your Degree in 1 year. Start Today!
http://www.classesusa.com/clickcount.cfm?id=866146&goto=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.classesusa.com%2Ffeaturedschools%2Fonlinedegreesmp%2Fform-dyn1.html%3Fsplovr%3D866144