Re: Tracking Multiple Actions within Extended Contests

From: Jamie <anti.spam_at_...>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 16:44:09 -0000

Surely this is exactly what ECs can do? Indeed I use whether or not I want to know "How" the contest pans out or "what actually happens" as my main rule of thumb for deciding if an EC should be used (Or more commonly as my pitch to convince the players).

-

As a side point Mike mentioned "Giving" and I wonder how many people use the "withdrawing from an extended contest" rules for this effect. In HQ a withdrawing character is not left with a result for the contest but it can provide a suitable end and the situation can usually suggest a result.

Rule suggestion: the withdrawing character and their opponent can negotiate the result they envisage by withdrawing and if no agreement can be met then the withdrawal is resisted and a successful withdrawal leads to an ambiguous result.