Re: Kolating spirit hunting.

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 14:30:34 -0500

>From: "Roderick and Ellen Robertson" <rjremr_at_...>

> >>2) He can do this and uses Worship Kolat ability to bind the
> >>spirit. The spirit becomes
> >>a common magic charm with rating 13 (but can be increased).
>
>No, not common magic.

Because if it's a spirit in the mundane world, it can only be made into a charm by somebody who understands the common magic religion precept? Which could be almost anyone, correct? You don't have to be an animist per se to learn how to get such a charm.

> > Secondly if practice spirits cannot be increased then it would be odd
> > that strange spirits that he encounters could be.
>
>Page 134 - Common Magic Charms, last paragraph. Bad rule (back in Common
>Magic), IMO.

The rationale I last heard was that spirits from the Spirit World do not learn and grow. Only spirits native to the mundane world can do that. Like people, for instance.

>Even Shamans don't make captured spirits part of a Tradition/Practice.
>Being
>part of a Tradition/Practice is a link between the Spirit and the
>Great/Majestic Spirit, not between the Spirit and a Mortal.

Which said link makes it possible for practitioners who know the Majestic Spirit in question to bind the linked practice spirits.

As opposed to...

>Shamans can en-fetish anything they meet (assuming the contests go their
>way, of course).
>
> > Give him a special ability known as wrestle spirits or have him join a
> > special subcult.

>Sounds reasonable.

I almost always stack the deck regarding my character's magic, and take abilities like "Talented with Befriending Spirits" or the like. For a theist it might be "Destined to Serve Destor." A current Galvosti wizard character has "Aptitude for Tapping."

Put another way, I'm not sure how kosher it is to allow a specific ability to be selected that emulates another that's normally only purchaseable as part of a particular keyword. But you can at least get something similar, and certainly complimentary abilities. With a little creativity. As for whether to allow these to be used directly instead of the abilities emulated, that's up to the individual narrator and players, I suppose.

I will say that it's often very interesting to be able to do something that your cult says you shouldn't be able to do.

Mike

Need a break? Find your escape route with Live Search Maps. http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?ss=Restaurants~Hotels~Amusement%20Park&cp=33.832922~-117.915659&style=r&lvl=13&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=1118863&encType=1&FORM=MGAC01