RE: Nothing Much Happens, Side Effects of Victory

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 16:12:20 -0500

>From: Benedict Adamson <yahoo_at_...>
>A difficulty is that calling the outcome 'marginal' (and even, 'minor')
>defeat and victory implies that nothing much happens. OK for a simple
>contest, in which the players have not invested much effort, but
>sometimes a little disappointing for an extended contest.

I don't see that implication. The book have descriptions of what happen in those cases. One thing is sure, the character gets his goal on a victory - so that's something that happens (the combat exception is complicated). Further, it seems to me that something very exciting happens on a marginal, that being that you barely win. In a movie, this is the most exciting sort of result. Easy victories aren't nearly as dramatic. The ones where you squeak by are.

All without the marginal complication idea, which I highly endorse. Put another way, I don't think that the players in my game have any level of victory that they find to be dull. I work hard to make the outcomes non-dull.

Mike

Need a break? Find your escape route with Live Search Maps. http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?ss=Restaurants~Hotels~Amusement%20Park&cp=33.832922~-117.915659&style=r&lvl=13&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=1118863&encType=1&FORM=MGAC01