Re: Re: Effects of Misapplied Worship

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 00:09:18 -0700

> I did get confused for a moment when you implied subcults worked
> differently,
> since most people get their third affinity from a subcult. But it really
> wasn't quite that in the example.

Subcults other than the one you're in, or subcults of cults that don't follow the Orlanthi pattern of "two from the God and one from the subcult".

Detour -
While the majority of cults so far written up are of the "Orlanthi" pattern, it's not the only way to do things. You can have a cult giving three (or however many) Affinities that has subcults that give additional magic; you can have seperate cults for each aspect of a god that give entirely different affinities; I could even see a three-layer cult with one affinity from the "Big God", one from a middle layer, and one from a "subcult" - something like:

Yelm - Sun Affinity
Warrior - Fighting Affinity
Hastatus - Spear Affinity

(and a god need not give three affinites, of course, Some might have only one, some might have four or five. We use three as a "easy" number)

I actually wish that cults *were* written up in other patterns, just to keep it fresh. And I know that *I* could have done so in ILH2, though I had nothing to do with ILH1. The more cults are written in the Orlanthi pattern, the stronger the Orlanthi pattern becomes in the minds o fthe readers (Sort of how doing a heroquest over and over "strengthens" it).

Anyway, to get back to the main thrust of this message... The Orlanthi pattern doesn't penalize you for getting the affinity of the subcult you're in - a Destor Initiate has the two Orlanth affinites and the Destor Affinity as "normal". It's only when you look outside your own subcult to another that you'd worry about the "<magic> from a subcult" table.

In a non-Orlanthi pattern cult like, say, Gerendetho, a person would get the three Gerendetho affinities as normal, but if he wanted magic from a "fertility" subcult of Gerendetho., he'd use the "<magic> from a subcult " table.

RR