Armour Fiddling

From: ttrotsky2 <TTrotsky_at_...>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 19:48:59 -0000

Rory:

> A fairly standard fantasy* trope is the unarmored guy who relies on
Dodge
> and Precise Strikes (the "Rapier guy takes down fully-armored knight"
> trick), or just Dodge and wait for the knight to exhaust himself.

Sure, but that just demonstrates that his Dodge skill is at least 5 higher than the knight's combat skill. Having armour should help, IMO, but if the other guy's skill in combat/dodge/whatever is much higher than yours, it may not help *enough*.

> My sensai
> taught Filipino knife strikes designed to go around armor

A specific ability that neutralises the other guy's advantage (as would, say, Squirt Poison Gas), rather than a 'dramatically appropriate' situation, I'd have said.

>(Helmet and back &

> breast, rather than full armor, but the "full armor" of, say, the 15th
> century isn't available on Glorantha).

Away from the main point, but I'm not so sure that's true in Loskalm.

> Ambush/surprise attacks - Naked Guy with Dagger is able to attack Big
> Bruiser In Armor before BBIA is able to mount a defense.

If what Robin is talking about is this sort of tactical circumvention of the armour bonus then, yeah, I wouldn't disagree with him. Perhaps I'm misinterpreting what he means by 'dramatically appropriate'.

> Bad footing/heat exhaustion/etc. penalties can often be applied to
the BBIA
> and not the NGWD - penalties that would much more than offset the
possible
> equipment differences.

Agreed; but offsetting isn't the same as ignoring. Again, perhaps I'm misunderstanding Robin.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic