Re: One System to Rule Them All (Was: Re: [WorldofGlorantha] Re: How Much Rule fiddl

From: Paul King <paul_at_...>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 22:21:33 +0100

On 23 Jul 2007, at 21:14, Robin Laws Mail List Only wrote:

> Current method: Armor matters in the world. We reflect this by adding
> an extra step to the process-- a bonus to the character's target
> number each time he goes into combat. Or not, if he's fighting
> somebody with equivalent armor, in which case it cancels out.
>
> Robin's suggested method: Armor matters in the world. However, rather
> than introducing the extra calculation we have to perform each time,
> we assume that the value of the character's armor has already been
> factored into his base combat rating.

One difference is that in the current method better equipment is (usually) a net advantage. In the latter case it is a disadvantage. Heavy equipment has disadvantages - it must be carried and the weight itself can be a drawback. And there will be cases where it must be left behind or can't be got in time. So instead of an advantage for having and using heavy equipment you are giving characters who use it a penalty every time they have to do without.

So the question is, is the tradeoff worth it ? I don't think you can get an answer that will satisfy everyone. Some will approve of the simplification and not care about other effects. Others will not like the negative effect on characters using heavy equipment and find the system simple enough as it is.