Re: Re: One System to Rule Them All

From: Gavain Sweetman <gavain.sweetman_at_...>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 12:19:14 +0000 (GMT)

I thought that when I first read the suggestion. Then I realised that really a heavily armoured knight would rely on that armour and would readily ignore some blows in order to gain an advantage. "If I don't need to parry then I wont and I can make an attack at the same time as his that he can't defend." What springs to mind is a passage in Frank Herbert's Dune where the hero Paul has been trained in a certain style of fighting and finds it difficult to finish the fight because he is anticipating a defensive forcefield that isn't there.

Further I would guess that situational modifiers would only apply for a short time. eg. fighting without armour when you are used to it (1 or 2 fights only). In the same way I would penalise a non-sailor fighting in a ship for a few days until he got his "sea legs"

Gavain