RE: One System to Rule Them All (Was: Re: [WorldofGlorantha] Re: How Much Rule fiddl

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 11:26:18 -0500

>From: "Rob" <robert_m_davis_at_...>
>
>Not really. Its about the same. But it is easier for newbs, ...

Harder, easier... all moot. It's a skill that's required for play. I mean the whole section on applying bonuses and penalties for other sorts of situational differences means that the Narrator has to stand ready to apply such. And there's rules for it.

Note that this can make the differences in kit all the more "dramatic" (double-entendre intended). That is, if you're fighting me bare handed, and I've got a big sword and armor, normally the system would say that's a +10 for me (5 for each) at most. Using the penalty rules I can say that there's a huge improv penalty in participating in a melee unequipped, and assess you a -20. If you're not good at it, this might result in an automatic defeat.

The examples in the book are good enough to provide a Narrator with the guidance he needs to figure these bonuses and penalties out, if you choose to play this way.

The real objection that people have, I think, is that they want "hard" levels so that it feels more like a simulation. But, then, I would think that, wouldn't I?

Mike

http://newlivehotmail.com