Re: Re: Mythic Russia, and Pyrrhic Victories

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 15:44:23 -0500

>From: "Jakob Pape" <chaomancer_at_...>
>
>I had a player do something like that, in my game. The group was trying to
>save an important NPC from magical attack, and things weren't going so well
>- the lightning bolt was in the air already.

I have another, similar example, that may be even more illuminating. This was way before HQ, but I was using a homegrown system that worked similarly. In this example, there was an evil mage who's power was all wrapped up in a wand that he had. The PCs were attacking him, intent on destroying the wand (having long ago figured out that this was what needed to happen). The evil mage, knowing that they would attemt this, suspended the wand over a firey pit of lava. The PCs tries magic, arrows, all sorts of things to get it to fall into said pit of lava, but to no avail. And it was just out of reach.

OK, yeah, the set up was a tad derivative... so sue me. :-)

So one player decided to leap over the pit, grab the wand, and take it down into the depths with him. There was no question of whether or not he could survive such a situation, only whether or not he could grab onto the wand and take it with him.

(He succeeded, if you must know, and everyone agreed it was quite an appropriate and heroic end.)

Mike

http://newlivehotmail.com