Nested Relationships

From: ttrotsky2 <TTrotsky_at_...>
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2007 23:36:16 -0000

This question came up in my online game recently, and I wasn't sure of the answer. Maybe I'm doing things wrong, and there really shouldn't even be a question!

Anyway, the question arises because, in character generation, you gain some Relationships as part of your keyword. 'To Clan', for instance, if you're a Heortling. So, barring any extra expenditure, they're at 17. Whereas, a character might have a Relationship to a particular character, as part of their 100 word write-up. So that starts at 13. But, let's say the individual character is a member of the clan. Doesn't that mean that the relationship you specifically mentioned in your write-up is *weaker* than to everyone else in the clan?

Well, OK, presumably not. But why not? Where's the flaw in the reasoning? Would you, perhaps, when dealing with Bob the Clansman, use Relationship to Clan, and then Relationship to Bob as an augment to that? Or are the two Relationships used for entirely different sorts of things? Or something else?

I'm interested to see how others handle it, before making a ruling in my own game.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic