Re: How do I make a charm?

From: Gavain Sweetman <gavain.sweetman_at_...>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 08:28:31 +0000 (GMT)

> Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>

> > This *does* assume that you
> > have somehow contacted the spirit in question -
> > almost invariably this means
> > that you're standing in a Open Spirit World circle
>
> In this case since we know the spirit's around, I take
> it just Spirit Face will do the job?

I would recon so.

> > So unless you want to make it secretly a
> > tradition spirit,...
>
> In fact, we had this in mind anyway. Mainly as a plot
> device, so my PC can think "WTF is a spirit from MY
> tradition doing here????" (she's Darjinni, near the
> Upland Marsh).

Also the Darjiini SurEslib tradition has a "wide range of practices, which worshippers see simply as parts of the religion, and join or leave as circumstances or their needs dictate." (ILH p32). So it is highly likely that most types of spirits will be covered.

Now if it is a Wood Spirit? That comes directly from the Shamanistic practice (Suvar) and you are acting more like a shaman .....

> But what's this "can't" use non-tradition spirits?
> Greater difficulty, sure, but "can't"? A -40 or so for
> not being in the tradition I could understand, but
> "can't" just isn't how HQ works. So what's going on?

I think it is can't in the sense that you haven't been taught how to negotiate with outside spirits, a shaman has and uses his shamanistic powers to negotiate on his own behalf. Without that you are using the influence of you Great Spirit to make the spirit tow the line.

> > LC:
> >And if it is a spirit you've given ANY personality
> > to, I would go for making it a fetish, not a charm.)
>
> I take it the same goes for a non-practice spirit. So
> that's the same as the contest to make a charm, so
> far.

And from the context of meeting the spirit you have a basis of friendship. You both dislike the dwarf. And from my insider knowledge of you hero she seems more likely to be keen on making friends with it than binding it into servitude. :-))