Re: Request for some math

From: Gavain Sweetman <gavain.sweetman_at_...>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 11:55:02 +0000 (GMT)

Difficulity Resistance Chance to Succeed

Very easy = Player skill - Z 90%
Easy = Player skill - Y 75%
Average = Player skill - X 65%
Difficult = Player skill 50%
Challenging = Player skill + X 35%
Very Difficult = Player skill + Y 25%
Nearly Impossible = Player skill + Z 10%

I am not sure about the chances of success for 'Difficult', it is just a feeling that it might be something like that.

So I need values for X,Y and Z. Can somebody here help me with gaining those values?

The (slight) problem with looking at this is that the numbers depend on where the players skill lies on the 1-20 scale to roll against. So here are a few examples of what I mean

player skill  65% victory    75% victory    90% victory     X      Y      Z
     1                 12                15                   19           11    14     18
     5                 16                3W                 19W        16    18     34
    10                7W              12W                19W        17    22     29
    15               11W             14W                19W        16    19     24
    20               12W             15W                19W        12    15     19

If you add an extra mastery then it doesn't raise the chances of victory by very much e.g. 1:19 = 90.3% all victories 1:19W = 90.8% all victories 1:19W2 = 99.8% all victories, but what does change is the levvel of victory 1:19 = 81.0% minor victory 1:19W = 90.8% major victory 1:19W2 = 90.38% complete victory.

In general if you want to make it harder for your players, have your monsters with high numbers before the mastery :-)

Hope that this helps.
Gavain