Re: Two goals?

From: Neil Smith <neil.yahoo_at_...>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 23:03:20 +0100

On Saturday 22 Sep 2007 9:19 pm, L.Castellucci wrote:
> How do you all model two goals going on simultaneously?

You don't. But, your example fits nicely into the rules as written..

> I am not sure how I
> would model that final confrontation between Luke and Vader.

<snip>
> The fight continues and now I can't decide whether Vader has switched his
> goal to physically defeat Luke or whether he has switched it to "convert
> Luke to the Dark Side".

That's fine. It's explicitly in the rules:

"At the beginning of an extended contest, you and the narrator explain your overall goals in the contest... It is possible to change this overall goal in the contest."

(HeroQuest, p. 66, first paragraph below the 'Extended Contest Sequence' heading)

As for Luke losing the hand? Don't sweat it. It was, after all, only a minor inconvenience at the end of one conflict. It gets fixed up soon enough. A few APs traded for injuries and that's it.

(Saying that, there is a wider problem with HeroQuest as written, which is that victors in a contest generally incur no negative effects. I'd like to see some form of 'phyrric victory' device in the revised HQ, perhaps by handling orthogonal stakes in conflicts.)

On Sunday 23 Sep 2007 5:23 pm, Jane Williams wrote:
> So in my
> example, if I and a friend were cooking a meal, and
> the phone went, I might leave him in charge of the
> kitchen while I answered the phone: he then has to
> cope without the recipe that only exists in my head.

I'd run this the same way as archery(!). The goal is to produce the meal; the phone call is either so important that you give up on the meal and concede the goal or it's an event that changes the abilities that can be applied (Jane's 'Improvise Feast 5M2' ability can no longer be used and everything now rests on the friend's 'Cook Beans on Toast 14'). For the latter, see the examples in the Ranged Combat narrator advice column: <http://www.glorantha.com/support/na_ranged.html>.

Neil.

--
Neil Smith                               http://www.njae.me.uk
Milton Keynes Roleplaying Games Club  http://www.mk-rpg.org.uk