Re: Two goals?

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 23:24:37 +0100 (BST)

> (Saying that, there is a wider problem with
> HeroQuest as written, which is
> that victors in a contest generally incur no
> negative effects. I'd like to
> see some form of 'phyrric victory' device in the
> revised HQ, perhaps by
> handling orthogonal stakes in conflicts.)

Yes, me too. We've discussed various "house rule" ways of doing it, but something explicit in the new rules would be good.

> On Sunday 23 Sep 2007 5:23 pm, Jane Williams wrote:
> > So in my
> > example, if I and a friend were cooking a meal,
> and
> > the phone went, I might leave him in charge of the
> > kitchen while I answered the phone: he then has to
> > cope without the recipe that only exists in my
> head.
>
> I'd run this the same way as archery(!).

I'm not leaving you in charge of my kitchen, then :)

> The goal is to produce the meal; the
> phone call is either so important that you give up
> on the meal and concede the goal

No, the whole point of the original example (before we got the "friend" involved) is that I'm trying to achieve both goals, I don't concede either. Yes, I have done this for real: stirring things one-handed while trying to fix my dad's PC down the phone.

> or it's an event that changes the abilities
> that can be applied

 Some abilities might well get switched off completely (anything that absolutely requires two hands), others would get negative modifiers (where you can do it with one hand and your teeth if you have to). I think. The main effect on the "mend Dad's PC" contest would be the generic negative mod due to trying to concentrate on two things at once, there's nothing actually stopping me from using any of the relevant abilities.

> (Jane's 'Improvise Feast 5M2' ability can no longer
> be used and everything
> now rests on the friend's 'Cook Beans on Toast 14').

You may be exaggerating things slightly, but for the purposes of the example... yes, if I've gone into another room to carry on with my phone call in peace, none of my abilities can be used.

> For the latter, see the
> examples in the Ranged Combat narrator advice
> column:
> <http://www.glorantha.com/support/na_ranged.html>.

Nice. Lots of good examples in there. None about pursuing two goals at once, though, not that I could see.

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/