Re: the new extended contest

From: Bryan <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 17:33:12 -0000

> On the other hand, it's not all top secret, and discussing
> impressions of the rules changes so far (like "it's simpler" or "I
> was disappointed not to have a dropped oil lamp table") seems more
> profitable to me.
> --

What, no detailed percentile table for 'dropped oil lamp'??? Now I'm outraged! ;-)

I wasn't at tentacles, so I'm going just by what was posted here. Assuming that the contest rolls are similar to those of a simple contest, this does seem simpler.....but it also sounds like it is really a way for tracking the outcome of a series of simple contest rolls? That is, it does not sound like there is room for 'bid size' or the situation of having a bunch of followers boosting starting AP, even if your skill is not so high?

If that is the case, it does sound much simpler, but like its dropping some of the _potentially_ differentiating and dramatic properties of extended contests. It may be that the simplicity more than makes up for that loss, kind of like having to use a contest like every other to determine the effects of that dropped oil lamp.....

Certainly for online play I think the simpler extended contest is probably better, as the multiple rounds, remembering to set bids, and trying to keep track of AP over days or weeks does tend to make the current extended contest format difficult for those games. There I think the simplicity is probably worth the loss of detail.

Sadly for me face to face play of HQ is still but a daydream, so I don't have the experience to comment on face to face.

--Bryan