Re: HQ2 Extended Contest Question

From: Jamie <anti.spam_at_...>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 02:23:55 -0000

> It isn't an interpretation. It's directly stated (at
least in the
> Continuum edition) on p69

Ah, that clause as I see it is not advice to not use pass fail to inform the resistance so much as don't let it dictate the resistance.

> I don't see why you can't use "New Conditions. New Resistance" (p72)
> during an Extended Contest - aside from credibility concerns.

Neither did I until it felt wrong to us.

> My gut feeling is that it depends on how extended
the contest is in
> game-time. If you're talking about a fight scene or
some other short
> conflict, then the credibility condition requires that
the resistances
> shouldn't change very often. In something that
takes place over a
> longer period of time (weeks or months or even
years) then the
> conditions could change for every exchange.

See that kind of thinking sits well with me for old style extended contests but there is somthing more discrete and singular about the new style. It implies a more itterative and less freeform approach. As I stated in my previous post it feels like a mechanic that models a single scene or a montage, whereas old extended contests were appropriate for a sequence of scenes each with a single roll. The difference is in the pacing of the mechanic and in their differing relationships with the narration.