Re: HQ2 Extended Contest Question

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 17:53:17 -0800

Jamie

>I guess I was carrying baggage from HQ1 Extended Contests which are
>very different beasts, and incidentally match my style far better.

So far as I know, the bidding system would still work as well as ever.

>Hmm, I don't see pass/fail as a fall back at all, so we probably have
>different interpretations of the intent of the system.

"In a Nutshell: Resistances
Use your judgment first. "

Paul

>In something that takes place over a
>longer period of time (weeks or months or even years) then the
>conditions could change for every exchange.

I think my sidebar addressing such contests got in after the Continuum draft.

>I really see the new version as a more formalised version of chained
>simple contests (as in Mythic Russia). The relevant difference seems
>to be that every exchange has the same stakes, instead of the option
>of going all-out or setting the stakes low.

There is an optional rule called "Upping the Stakes." There are also Risky Gambits and Defensive Responses.

--

David Dunham