HQ2 Extended Contest Question

From: Jamie <anti.spam_at_...>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 14:18:44 -0000

We have been trying out HQ2 out of the book, and during the game I was keeping a track of passes and fails and using these to inform the resistances, but I have a question.

I ran a sequence that involved a number of possible actions as an extended contest, and mainly because I kept rolling far too well to the point of frustration to the players I started to adjust the resistance within the extended contest. (There are only so many 'you fail but things are still interesting' tautologies you can pull off in a row).

But this just didn't feel right, it felt like fudging back in more traditional games and at least one player was also uninspired by my adjustment in this circumstance.

I guess I was carrying baggage from HQ1 Extended Contests which are very different beasts, and incidentally match my style far better.

So my question is, as currently written, is it correct to adjust resistances within an extended contest? Alternately, is the contest supposed to be static throughout? I am interested in the intent of the rules as opposed to a 'do whatever feels right' response.

Jamie