RE: How to run a chase in HQ2

From: Matthew Cole <matthew.cole_at_...>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 22:20:35 -0000

Thanks fellas. Both interesting replies but I think I need something else.

What I'm looking for is a way to run a chase using vanilla HQ2. The kidnappers are broo, the victim definitely dies (her progeny figure later in the campaign) and the main broo dude (an albino) is killed by the hero aged 11 (it's from her back story).

The rest is up for grabs however.

LC:

It sounds to me like you need to make the chase contest about something OTHER than catching the target.

Agreed, we had already come to this conclusion.

LC:

In other words, a failure should be about losing something else, or not getting the glory properly, or what have you.

Again, spot on the money.

LC:

a number of set pieces for the PCs that let them illustrate neat things they did in the chase.

What I really want is to use a HQ2 contest to allow us to play an epic-style chase. If I have to I will use a string of connected simple contests but I just want to see if the new system can govern the whole chase with all the protagonists and antagonists involved.

LC:

The new Extended Contest rules seem far too short to use for an epic chase that spans across more than one session.

Yes they do seem so. I'm wondering if I can safely increase the limit of tokens in a contest so as to give it more depth.

I really want to use some kind of mechanic that gives the players access to the kind of excitement and suspense you get in a chase whilst still drawing meaning from each phase and building towards the climax where they face their enemies.

In reply to Robin's suggestion: I see what you mean; I have noticed that my players often go for 'meatier' drawbacks too. However we are going to play out the conflicts; we do want this part to be part of the game instead of falling back on writers' room methods.

One of my players has suggested we use Spirit of the Century chase rules but I don't want to abandon HQ2 at this stage. My aim is still to find a way to run the chase as detailed above.

Cheers