Re: How do you compare published abilities without numbers?

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 00:49:34 -0000

Hmm, Some people think that any published numbers are wrong, so would ignore them even if they were published. Others think they are a useful tool. Wouldn't it be better to provide them for the latter group, given that there presence makes no difference to the former group anyway?

One thing I really dislike about FUDGE and it's derivatives is the insistance on using adjectives when they mean numbers. If (in HQ) I'm rolling a d20 against an ability then knowing that ability is 17, or 12W or 13W3 is immideately useful in a way that knowing it is a hard resistance, or the foe is renowned for their skill isn't, because before I can adjudicate the dice roll, I first have to convert those words to numbers.

"fudging the numbers" is a little like railroading. Done well, and in the hands of a good GM, the players might not ever notice, and where they do, they can ignore it in the interests of the game. Done badly, however it destroys suspension of disbelief and deprotaganises players...