RE: Re: How do you compare published abilities without numbers?

From: Matthew Cole <matthew.cole_at_...>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 10:56:59 -0000

That's not what I meant. I was suggesting a place where we can go to discuss numbers, since they are not going to be in the supplements. I'm sure that this (to your eyes) will be far from the best solution but it's the only suggested solution.

Then when people feel the need for someone else to get involved in setting target numbers for their game they can go there and get a concensus.

What I would think would work would be a wiki with attached discussion forum. The wiki could hold the agreed-upon data and the forum could produce it. Eventually we would end up with a database of consistent stats for Gloranthan characters that would allow you to prepare your games. I wouldn't expect any of the game's creators to get involved - who could blame them for that?

In response to your two needs as quoted. These are not covered by HeroQuest and will not be in any HQ2 supplements, so we are left with taking our own steps. HQ has already chosen it's method for arriving at resistances, if we want to use another method then we need to look elsewhere. If the effort of retrieving target numbers seems more effort than it's worth - maybe that's because it is.

Very seriously though, I recommend trying the relative resistances, pass/fail cycle from HQ2 and adherance to a narrativistic agenda. Not only can you finally create the kind of stories that Greg has been reading all these years but you can be free of all that extra work in preparation. Even though the HQ2 book does say that the pass/fail method is optional it is the only method detailed in the book - so it's The HQ2 Method. Relative resistances are fully engrained in the work too.

How do you compare published abilities without numbers? By reading the published text and using language comprehension.

Great thing about this method is: you can use it with any printed materials: RPG or otherwise. HQ2 can be used for any setting including Glorantha because it tells you to work with words and not with numbers.