Re: How do you compare published abilities without numbers?

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 22:26:03 -0000

Ben nails it.

In HQ it is important to understand 'what is the prize' or what's really at stake for the players. If nothing is at stake don't roll, narrate the most interesting outcome or just say yes. If something is at stake then roll based on obtaining that.

If the players care most about backing the winner, regardless of argument, that's the contest - can you back the right horse.

The world is not player-centric, but story telling games should be, because the story is about the players. One mistake I made when Red Cow was to have people in the story who the players could not hope to win contests with. That makes pcs into zeroes not heroes. If you have guys so tough that the players can't take them on, don't have them on-stage, have them off-stage and send their minions in, or have them walk in for color only.

No beginning band of heroes is going to take on Harrek. So even in a Wolf Pirates campaign he should be color, never someone who the players roll against in a contest.

In Red Cow the pcs could not win a debate with the ring. In The Coming Storm they have a chance, because I use a relative resistance to their ability and even where it is tough can feel that they had a chance to sway the clan. IMO the game is more enjoyable for that.