Re: Imp keywords?

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 23:23:19 -0700

> I'm going to start a HQ(-1) campaign soon and one of the players wants to
> play an imp (sorcerer PC's familiar). I don't know why, we lack
> inspiration to make up the keywords. Because our house rules, it isn't
> very important to define exactly the keywords but, in this particular
> case, the player need more references or ideas.
>
> We have thought in three kewyords: Homeland (Underworld), Profession (Imp,
> with some innate abilities as Small 17) and Magic (?)

First, I'd just use "Imp" as the keyword, and treat it like an animal writeup for the most part. No need to have a homeland (unless you're planning on having player imps from different homelands?), nor profession, an imp is just what it is.

Next, figure out what all Imps of this type can do - it's small (how small? "Small 17" is about the size of a small bird, according to Anaxials). What else? Some abilities will be "mundane", some will be "magical" in that most beings can't do them Treat any magical abilities as "natural magic" (they're just abilities, no need for concentration, ignore Affinities, Grimoires, Charms & Fetishes - it doesn't need them).

Next, does it have any abilites that other Imps don't, that it picked up in the Underworld? If so, add them in. This probably includes some personalitty traits that help seperate it from other imps. It may be nasty, mean, tricky, helpful, or something else. It probably has information about Underworld Entities - at least which ones it can bully safely, and which it needs to stay away from.

Finally, Has it learned anything from the wizard, or is it newly-summoned? If it's newly-summoned, it probably doesn't have any sort of knowledge about humans, human society, etc. If it has been around for a while, then it probably can Read, knows the people its wizard interacts with, etc. (Some familiars seem to come ready packeaged with knowledge and able to read - your imp might, then again, it might not...). Has it ever been summoned before, or is it new to the whole Familiar concept?

Basically, figure out what all imps can do, and figure out what makes *this* particular imp different than other imps.

RR