Re: Runes & personalities

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 08:20:40 -0700

LC

>why doesn't everyone start with the Man rune?

Because that would be a boring game. (There aren't really any powers or personality traits associated with it.)

Benedict

> > The HQ rules are not Heortling-specific!

>If the magic rules have been play-tested in mostly Heortling games, that
>fine intention might not have been achieved.

Hopefully there was enough design input to expose biases. Certainly not all playtesting was with Heortlings.

John

>I am also thinking a
>troubled young man with Air and Earth and <something else> might be a fun
>Sartarite to play.

Although the rules allow illegal combinations, you'd definitely need to convince your GM that you can pull it off -- and that it fits the sort of game she wants to run. (Keep in mind that you can be an oddball young man if you have only the Earth rune.)

Guy

>Would a character ever start without an element rune?

The rules allow you any of the 10,000 (plus or minus) combinations. Your game will disallow many (I can't imagine any Orlanthi game allowing PCs with the Chaos rune!), and others are so impractical that no GM should allow them (e.g. three elemental runes).

The Sartar Book gives good guidance for playing a game in Sartar. Other parts of Glorantha aren't even theist, and will vary.

--

David Dunham