Re: What Does a Rune-Magic Rating Represent?

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 18:07:23 -0700

Alexander

>I roll and fail. My death rune might still kill the true
>dragon, but that doesn't stop the chaos horde advancing. So I failed to get
>what I 'the player' wanted.

I agree in spirit, but I think your example isn't a very good one. Death at 13 is not all that great no matter how you play the game (since by definition it's an ability you didn't care enough about to improve). I also think it fails credibility that you would kill a true dragon on a failure. (Though we don't know what the opposing roll is, which makes it hard to know for sure.)

It's very true that you need to frame the contest, and that you shouldn't interpret the results in binary fashion.

Page 105 discusses this (I believe this is part of the downloadable sample).

--

David Dunham