What Does a Rune-Magic Rating Represent?

From: Benedict Adamson <yahoo_at_...>
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 14:34:13 +0100

Ian Borchardt wrote:
> Now a theist gains magical power by more closely emulating his or her
> god. Correct? The intensity of this connection is measured by the
> strength of the appropriate rune trait (modified by little things like
> initiation, devotion, ordination, and disciplehood I presume <grin>).
> So a theist seeking more powerful magics would (game mechanically)
> increase the relevant rune traits.

In a simulation game system, yes. The rating of an ability would correspond to some objective measure of the strength or intensity. But for a narrative game system it instead represents something like "plot importance": how strong it is in influencing the outcome of the story.

The two need not correspond. A barely qualified Space Cadet would have little ability to captain a starship. In a simulation game, their Command Starship skill would be low. But in a narrative game that focused on our Cadet taking emergency control of a starship and thereby defeating the Bad Guy, the Cadet would have a high rating in Command Starship.

Despite its history, HeroQuest is trying to be a narrative game system. That would suggest the rating in a rune magic ability represents how important that rune magic will be in the plot.